A Brief History of The Club
The building itself could well be contemporary with the foundation of the Club for we know that the house was built in the eighteenth century on land which once formed part of the Greyfriars precinct. The old wall in St. Faiths Lane, behind the Club, was the boundary between the Cathedral Close and Greyfriars. At the time the house was built, or not long after, it was the premises of the Harvey and Hudson Bank and continued to be until 1866 when the bank was transferred to the new Crown Bank, now Hardwick House.
It was not until 1887 that The Norfolk Club, then occupying rented accommodation on Guildhall Hill, purchased the present premises at 17 Upper King Street. The purchase price was £3,600.
When the Club acquired the building certain alterations were made; first the present dining room block was built in 1888, then in the following year the library was created from two smaller rooms. The mosaic tiles in the hall replaced the old flagstones. the Club moved in about Christmas 1888.
“On 9th June 1770, a number of men most sanguinely moved and proposed as follows: That a Select Number of intimate Friends in the County of Norfolk (not exceeding fourteen) do dine together at the Bell Tavern in the Market Place Norwich upon the last Saturday in the months of June, July, August 1770 and in the months of April, May, June, July and August in the next insuring year for ten years to come”.
609, Sutter Street
Telephone: +1 415-673-6672
Housed in a 1920s beaux arts building, this military hotel, open to members and guests, is 2 blocks from Union Square, 0.9 miles from the Financial District and an 8-minute walk from the Powell Street BART station.
Located between the 3rd and 9th floors, the refined quarters offer flat-screen TVs, bathrobes, fridges, writing desks and free spring water. In-room Wi-Fi is complimentary.
There's a full business centre, a variety of meeting spaces and a museum honouring the U.S. Armed Forces. Dining options include a rooftop steakhouse, complimentary breakfast and gratis happy hour. The on-site fitness centre offers a lap pool.
Piece Hall Yard
Telephone: 01274 727036
A Gentleman's Club dating from early 19th Century, the Bradford Club now admits both ladies and gentlemen. The Club building is a fine example of mid-Victorian architecture set in the central conservation area of the city. It has been completely modernised and refurbished to a high standard, while retaining its essential period character.
40 Newcomen Street
PO Box 28
Telephone: 0061 24929 1224
Fax: 0061 24929 6302
The Newcastle Club is in the middle of Newcastle CBD offering old fashioned traditions of service, courtesy, comfort and charm, whilst meeting the needs of contemporary life in this fast moving world. The view across Newcastle Harbour gives Members an opportunity to relax and enjoy the beauty and fascination of a busy working port.
Bell Wharf Lane
Upper Thames Street
Telephone: 020 7248 0620
The City Livery Club, founded in 1914 and privileged to count the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor as Patron and Member, is a private daytime Club for Liverymen and members of related City organisations where they can meet, dine, and exchange views in comfortable premises overlooking the Thames.
Telephone: 01502 566726
Fax: 01502 517981
Established in 1859, the aims of the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club remain as set out by its founders: “To encourage yacht building and yacht sailing by amateurs; to encourage yacht racing by the promotion of regattas and the giving of prizes; and to maintain a clubhouse for the use of members”.
4 Royal Avenue
Telephone: 02890 323411
Fax: 02890 312833
The Ulster Reform Club has Victorian origins being located in a magnificent purpose-built, red sandstone building which opened in 1885 in the centre of Belfast. The Club recently celebrated its 125th Anniversary. Over the years its members have successfully influenced the creation and growth of industrial, commercial and professional enterprises in Belfast and far beyond.
Tapton Hall, Shore Lane
Telephone: 0114 266 0051
The Sheffield Club was fortunate to be able to relocate at Tapton Hall in September 2000. Here, the club enjoys excellent bar and catering facilities. Our Members meet every Friday between 12 noon and 3:00pm. We have use of the private bar and dining room. There is ample car parking. In addition, special lunches or dinners are arranged several times a year. Periodically, lunches are also held for younger professional & business members and their friends.
Over-Seas House, Park Place
St James's Street
Telephone: 0207 408 0214
The Royal Over-Seas League is a Commonwealth membership organisation with many thousands of members worldwide, historic clubhouses at prestigious locations in Edinburgh and London plus Reciprocal arrangements and a network of contacts around the world.
27 Old Gloucester St
Telephone: 0845 224 1781
Founded a number of times by seemingly unrelated and socially different groups of people, The Eccentric Club served as a meeting point for many great and original minds, pioneers of thought in artistic, literary, theatrical, scientific, legal and political circles. The present club has been revived by a group of enthusiasts, members of the old club and a few other London clubs, in 2007 (the old club has closed in 1984), and was officially re-launched on the 29th of August 2008.
154 Worcester Street
PO Box 55
Telephone: 0064 3366 9461
Fax: 0064 3366 9460
Twelve graziers founded The Christchurch Club in 1856 as a gentlemen’s retreat in town. It was called a 'Club' from the beginning and soon became one in every sense of the word. Its first premises were in a leased building in Durham street, and the present clubhouse was built in 1861/ 62 to the design of Benjamin Mountfort. Having evolved considerably in recent years, the Club provides a timeless elegance and a warm inviting atmosphere for a diverse group of men and women.